SafeWise, the award winning interactive safety education charity which runs safety centres in Bournemouth and Weymouth is delighted to announce their commitment to running Dorset Driver Gold.
Dorset Driver Gold is aimed at drivers aged 65 years and over who have an interest in updating their skills and knowledge, want help in familiarising themselves with a new vehicle or simply want to gain confidence.
Alison Shelton BEM, Chief Executive of SafeWise said “We are delighted to have the opportunity to run Dorset Driver Gold as driving is potentially the most dangerous activity that most people take part in. A slight increase in skills or awareness is all it takes to prevent the heartbreak of lives lost or devastated in accidents that could have been prevented. ”
“It is a well-known fact that experienced drivers generally have fewer accidents than younger drivers. However, as people grow older gradual changes take place which mean their ability to deal safely with some situations diminishes. Our sessions are delivered by specially selected and trained Driving Standards Agency (DSA) Approved Driving Instructors (ADIs). All our ADIs have a good understanding of the needs of mature and experienced drivers.”
Dorset Driver Gold offers both a practical and a theory element
• The theory sessions are designed to cover a variety of aspects of driving safety including judging speed and distance, making sure drivers have the right car for their needs, negotiating roundabouts, traffic lights and junctions to name but a few. Sessions are held for up to 20 attendees and last up to three hours.
• The practical sessions are held on a one-to-one basis using the driver’s own car and last up to one and a half hours. Sessions are informal with the aim of enhancing current skills, they are not a test and there is no pass or fail element. The ADI looks at the way a driver deals with various traffic situations on the road and will make recommendations to help ensure ongoing safety.
The first dates for the theory sessions are:-
• 20th July 2016 at SafeWise Bournemouth
• 3rd August 2016 at SafeWise Bournemouth
• 18th August 2016 at SafeWise Bournemouth
• 7th September 2016at SafeWise Weymouth
Additional Theory and also Practical sessions dates will be published under the Dorset Driver Gold section of our website safewise.org or call SafeWise on 01202 591330.